Pathogenesis of influenza A (H5N1) virus infection in a primate model.
Cynomolgus macaques (Macaca fascicularis) infected with influenza virus A/Hong Kong/156/97 (H5N1) developed acute respiratory distress syndrome and fever associated with a necrotizing interstitial pneumonia. Reverse transcription PCR, virus isolation, and immunohistochemistry showed that the respiratory tract is the major target of the virus.
- Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
- Macaca fascicularis
- Disease Models, Animal
- *Influenza A Virus, H5N1 Subtype
- *Influenza A virus/isolation & purification
- Lung Diseases, Interstitial/pathology/virology
- Orthomyxoviridae Infections/*virology
- Respiratory Distress Syndrome, Adult/pathology