Mousepox in The Netherlands.
View PDF Version
Two independent outbreaks of ectromelia in mice occurred in The Netherlands. In both cases, the causative virus was isolated and identified as ectromelia virus on the basis of serology, demonstration of antigen by indirect immunofluorescence, negative contrast electron microscopy, morphology of lesions on chorioallantoic membranes of embryonated chicken eggs, and cytopathogenicity for mouse cells. Inoculation of the virus into the dermis of rabbits demonstrated a low virulence for this species.
- Chick Embryo
- Disease Outbreaks/*veterinary
- Ectromelia virus/isolation & purification
- Ectromelia, Infectious/*epidemiology
- Poxviridae Infections/*epidemiology/*veterinary
- Rodent Diseases/*epidemiology