Severe hypokalaemic paralysis and rhabdomyolysis due to ingestion of liquorice
Chronic ingestion of liquorice induces a syndrome with findings similar to those in primary hyperaldosteronism. We describe a patient who, with a plasma K+ of 1.8 mmol/l, showed a paralysis and severe rhabdomyolysis after the habitual consumption of natural liquorice. Liquorice has become widely available as a flavouring agent in foods and drugs. It is important for physicians to keep liquorice consumption in mind as a cause for hypokalaemic paralysis and rhabdomyolysis.
|Candy, Food Habits, Glycyrrhetinic Acid/*toxicity, Glycyrrhiza/chemistry/*toxicity, Humans, Hypokalemia/*chemically induced/physiopathology, Male, Middle aged, Potassium Chloride/therapeutic use, Rhabdomyolysis/*chemically induced/physiopathology, Syndrome|
|The Netherlands Journal of Medicine|
|Organisation||Erasmus MC: University Medical Center Rotterdam|
van den Bosch, A.E, van der Klooster, J.M, Zuidgeest, D.M, Ouwendijk, R.J.T, & Dees, A. (2005). Severe hypokalaemic paralysis and rhabdomyolysis due to ingestion of liquorice. The Netherlands Journal of Medicine. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/1765/10385