Antegrade balloon dilatation as a treatment option for posttransplant ureteral strictures: Case series of 50 patients
Experimental and Clinical Transplantation , Volume 16 - Issue 2 p. 150- 155
Objectives: The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of antegrade balloon dilatation on ureteral strictures that developed after kidney transplant. Materials and Methods: The hospital databases of the Erasmus Medical Center (Rotterdam, The Netherlands) and the Academic Medical Center (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) were retrospectively screened for patients who underwent balloon dilatation after kidney transplant. Balloon dilatation was technically successful whenever it was able to pass the strictured segment with the guidewire followed by balloon inflation; the procedure was clinically successful if no further interventions (for example, surgical revision of the ureteroneocystostomy or prolonged double J placement) were necessary. Results: Fifty patients (2.4%) of 2075 kidney transplant recipients underwent antegrade balloon dilatation because of urinary outflow obstruction. Median time between transplant and balloon dilatation was 3 months (range, 0-139 mo). In 43 patients (86%), balloon dilatation was technically successful. In the remaining 7 patients (14%), it was impossible to pass the strictured segment with the guidewire. In 20 of 43 patients (47%) having a technically successful procedure, the procedure was also clinically successful, with median follow-up after balloon dilatation of 35.5 months (range, 0-102 mo). We did not identify any patient or stricture characteristic that influenced the outcome of treatment. Conclusions: Balloon dilatation is a good option for ureter stricture treatment after kidney transplant as it is minimal invasive and can prevent surgical exploration in almost 50% of cases.
|Balloon dilatation, Kidney transplant, Urinary outflow obstruction, Urologic complications|
|Experimental and Clinical Transplantation|
|Organisation||Department of Radiology|
Ooms, L.S.S, Moelker, A, Roodnat, J.I, IJzermans, J.N.M, Idu, M.M, & Terkivatan, T. (2018). Antegrade balloon dilatation as a treatment option for posttransplant ureteral strictures: Case series of 50 patients. Experimental and Clinical Transplantation, 16(2), 150–155. doi:10.6002/ect.2016.0283