Patients with complaints of the vulvar area can be referred to a gynecologist or dermatologist. Vulvar problems can be treated by both specialists, but are often treated from a single perspective. In some cases this may lead to the wrong diagnosis or treatment. Dermatological expertise of skin and mucosa, and gynecological expertise in the area of the pelvic floor, the vagina (wall) and incontinence problems, complement each other. The introduction of a multidisciplinary vulvar clinic attended by dermatologist and gynecologist simultaneously, has led to improvement of the care for these patients. When necessary other disciplines are involved, such as a pelvic floor physiotherapist or urologist. In addition to the medical focus, sexological aspects should always be attended to. For sexual complaints a referral to a certified sexologist (sexologist NVVS) should be considered.

, , , ,
Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Dermatologie en Venereologie
Erasmus MC: University Medical Center Rotterdam

Hendriks, I. M., ten Kate-Booij, M., Roes, E. M., & van Hees, C. (2018). Multidisciplinaire aanpak van vulvaire problematiek. Nederlands Tijdschrift voor Dermatologie en Venereologie, 28(10), 46–49. Retrieved from