Treatment of functional mitral valve regurgitation with the permanent percutaneous transvenous mitral annuloplasty system: Results of the multicenter international Percutaneous Transvenous Mitral Annuloplasty System to Reduce Mitral Valve Regurgitation in Patients with Heart Failure trial
American Heart Journal , Volume 165 - Issue 5 p. 761- 769
Objectives PTOLEMY-2 was a prospective multicenter phase I single-arm feasibility trial to evaluate the second-generation permanent percutaneous transvenous mitral annuloplasty (PTMA) device in reducing functional mitral regurgitation (MR). Background Percutaneous MR reduction has been performed through a direct method of clipping and securing the mitral leaflets together or an indirect approach of reducing mitral annular dimension via the coronary sinus. The PTMA device is the only coronary sinus mitral repair device without a static fixation element. Methods Patients with at least moderate functional MR, New York Heart Association functional class II to IV, and left ventricular ejection fraction of 20% to 50% were enrolled at 14 centers in 5 countries. Device effects on patients were assessed by serial echocardiography, quality of life (QOL), and exercise capacity metrics. Results A total of 43 patients were recruited, and 30 patients (70%) were implanted with a permanent PTMA device with a mean follow-up of 5.8 ± 3.8 months. The primary safety end point (freedom from death, myocardial infarction, stroke, or emergency surgery) at 30 days was met in 28 patients, whereas 2 patients died of device-related complications. The primary efficacy end point (MR reduction of at least 1.0 grade or reduction of regurgitant orifice area by 0.1 cm2 or regurgitant volume by 15 mL or regurgitant fraction by 10% compared with baseline) was obtained in 13 patients. No significant changes were noted in MR parameters, ventricular volumes, or QOL. Distance walked on 6 minutes testing at 6-month follow-up increased from 331 ± 167 m to 417 ± 132 m (P =.65). Compared with nonresponders, responders had a higher baseline regurgitant orifice area >0.2 cm2 (P =.001) and less prior history of myocardial infarction (P =.02), coronary artery bypass surgery (P =.03), and ischemic MR (P =.04). Conclusions Overall, PTMA had mild impact on MR reduction, left ventricular remodeling, QOL, and exercise capacity. During follow-up, the risk/benefit ratio remained suboptimal.
|American Heart Journal|
|Organisation||Erasmus MC: University Medical Center Rotterdam|
MacHaalany, J, Bilodeau, L, Hoffmann, R, Sack, D.A, Sievert, H, Kautzner, J, … Bertrand, O.F. (2013). Treatment of functional mitral valve regurgitation with the permanent percutaneous transvenous mitral annuloplasty system: Results of the multicenter international Percutaneous Transvenous Mitral Annuloplasty System to Reduce Mitral Valve Regurgitation in Patients with Heart Failure trial. American Heart Journal, 165(5), 761–769. doi:10.1016/j.ahj.2013.01.010