The initial management of stable angina in Europe, from the Euro Heart Surve
A description of pharmacological management and revascularization strategies initiated within the first month of presentation to a cardiologist in the Euro Heart Survey of Stable Angina
European Heart Journal , Volume 26 - Issue 10 p. 1011- 1022
Aims: In order to assess adherence to guidelines and international variability in management, the Euro Heart Survey of Newly Presenting Angina prospectively studied medical therapy, percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), and surgery in patients with new-onset stable angina in Europe. Methods and results: Consecutive patients, 3779 in total, with a clinical diagnosis of stable angina by a cardiologist were enrolled. After initial assessment by a cardiologist, 78% were treated with aspirin, 48% with a statin, and 67% with a beta-blocker. ACE-inhibitors were prescribed by the cardiologist in 37% overall. Revascularization rates were low, with only 501 (13%) patients having PCI or coronary bypass surgery performed or planned. However, when restricted to patients with coronary disease documented within 4 weeks of assessment, over 50% had revascularization performed or planned. Among other factors, the national rate of angiography and availability of invasive facilities significantly predicted the likelihood of revascularization, OR 2.4 and 2.0, respectively. Conclusion: This survey shows a shortfall between guidelines and practice with regard to the use of evidence-based drug therapy and evidence that revascularization rates are strongly influenced by non-clinical, in addition to clinical, factors.
|Coronary revascularization, Pharmacological therapy, Secondary prevention, Stable angina|
|European Heart Journal|
|Organisation||Department of Cardiology|
Daly, C.A, Clemens, P.R, Lopez-Sendon, J, Tavazzi, L, Boersma, H, Danchin, N, … Fox, K. (2005). The initial management of stable angina in Europe, from the Euro Heart Surve. European Heart Journal (Vol. 26, pp. 1011–1022). doi:10.1093/eurheartj/ehi109