Premature ovarian failure and fertility in long-term survivors of Hodgkin's lymphoma: A European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lymphoma Group and Groupe d'ÉTude des Lymphomes de l'Adulte Cohort Study
Journal of Clinical Oncology , Volume 30 - Issue 3 p. 291- 299
Purpose: In this large cohort of Hodgkin's lymphoma survivors with long follow-up, we estimated the impact of treatment regimens on premature ovarian failure (POF) occurrence and motherhood, including safety of nonalkylating chemotherapy and dose-response relationships for alkylating chemotherapy and age at treatment. Patients and Methods: The Life Situation Questionnaire was sent to 1,700 women treated in European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer and Groupe d'Étude des Lymphomes de l'Adulte trials between 1964 and 2004. Women treated between ages 15 and 40 years and currently not using hormonal contraceptives (n = 460) were selected to assess occurrence of POF. Cumulative POF risk was estimated using the life-table method. Predictive factors were assessed by Cox regression analysis. Results: Median follow-up was 16 years (range, 5 to 45 years). Cumulative risk of POF after alkylating chemotherapy was 60% (95% CI, 41% to 79%) and only 3% (95% CI, 1% to 7%) after nonalkylating chemotherapy (doxorubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and dacarbazine; epirubicin, bleomycin, vinblastine, and prednisone). Dose relationship between alkylating chemotherapy and POF occurrence was linear. POF risk increased by 23% per year of age at treatment. In women treated without alkylating chemotherapy at age younger than 32 years and age 32 years or older, cumulative POF risks were 3% (95% CI, 1% to 16%) and 9% (95% CI, 4% to 18%), respectively. If menstruation returned after treatment, cumulative POF risk was independent of age at treatment. Among women who ultimately developed POF, 22% had one or more children after treatment, compared with 41% of women without POF. Conclusion: Nonalkylating chemotherapy carries little to no excess risk of POF. Dose-response relationships for alkylating chemotherapy and age at treatment are both linear. Timely family planning is important for women at risk of POF.
|Journal of Clinical Oncology|
|Organisation||Department of Hematology|
van der Kaaij, M.A.E, Heutte, N, Meijnders, P, Abeilard-Lemoisson, E, Spina, M, Moser, E.C, … Kluin-Nelemans, J.C. (2012). Premature ovarian failure and fertility in long-term survivors of Hodgkin's lymphoma: A European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer Lymphoma Group and Groupe d'ÉTude des Lymphomes de l'Adulte Cohort Study. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 30(3), 291–299. doi:10.1200/JCO.2011.37.1989