Cutis marmorata telangiectatica congenita: clinical features in 35 cases
OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the distribution of skin lesions, clinical features, and associated abnormalities in children with cutis marmorata telangiectatica congenita at onset and during follow-up. DESIGN: Retrospective survey of the available medical data with an average follow-up of 1 year 5 months (range, 0-7 years). SETTING: Pediatric Dermatology Unit (Department of Dermatovenereology) of the Sophia Children's Hospital in Rotterdam, the Netherlands. PATIENTS: The diagnosis of cutis marmorata telangiectatica congenita was clinically established in 35 patients between July 1988 and February 1997. In 33 cases, the typical mottled, blue-violet pattern was present from birth and was readily visible at rest. In 2 cases, the skin lesions initially appeared less reticulated, mimicking a capillary malformation. RESULTS: The skin lesions were almost generalized in 4 children (11%), whereas they were more localized in the other 31 children (89%). Associated anomalies, usually minor and sometimes questionable, were noted in 80% of the patients. Most patients showed a definite improvement of their mottled vascular skin lesions within 2 years. The lesions had totally disappeared, or only faded residual lesions remained. CONCLUSIONS: We believe that cutis marmorata telangiectatica congenita is a relatively mild condition. The prognosis is usually good, with minor associated anomalies. Improvement of the mottled, vascular pattern is usually observed within 2 years. We recommend careful clinical examination of all patients to exclude any associated anomalies. Patients should be referred to a neurologist or an ophthalmologist only if symptoms are present or if vascular lesions are present around the eyes.
|Abnormalities, Multiple/*pathology, Child, Child, Preschool, Erythema/*congenital/*pathology, Female, Follow-Up Studies, Humans, Infant, Infant, Newborn, Male, Retrospective Studies, Skin Abnormalities/pathology, Skin/blood supply, Telangiectasis/*congenital/*pathology|
|Archives of Dermatology|
|Organisation||Erasmus MC: University Medical Center Rotterdam|
Devillers, A.C.A, de Waard-van der Spek, F.B, & Oranje, A.P. (1999). Cutis marmorata telangiectatica congenita: clinical features in 35 cases. Archives of Dermatology. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/1765/9004